Nuffnang

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Ray Allen on the OT-forcing triple

Jesus Shuttlesworth!


Q.  Ray, can you take us through that last play, you setting up behind the three‑point line, kind of what you saw after Chris got the rebound?

A:  Well, LeBron took the shot, and I knew we had time, I had to go‑‑ I went into the paint to try to get the ball and make something happen.  At that point there's no guarantee who is going to get the ball or what may happen.  And when I seen CB get the ball, I just backpedaled right to the three‑point line, and I was hoping I was where I needed to be.  But I wasn't quite sure.  But just from years of shooting, I got to my spot.

Q.  Ray, how much did your rhythm at the end of Game 5 sort of help you tonight?  And also sort of talk about, this series has been so much about Danny Green's three‑point shooting, and you come back a game after he breaks your record, and hits a pretty big one.

A:  Well, it's been a very unusual series.  There hasn't really been great momentum from one game to the next for any team.  For us shooting‑wise, between myself and Mike, we've been in great rhythm shooting the ball, getting into our positions, trying to take the load off of LeBron and D‑Wade.

But now we're in a situation where we have to make any play, whatever play necessary offensively and defensively is where we have to hang our hats right now.  Because they're an executing team, the best executing team that we've seen thus far.  So defensively is where we have to hang our hats right now to win Game 7.

Q.  Ray, Chris Bosh said you saved the season.  What's the best words for you to describe the magnitude of your shot?

A:  It's going to be a shot that I'm going to remember for a long time.  There's a lot of shots that I've made in my career, but this will go high up in the ranks because of the situation.

Just the way that whole last minute and a half unfolded, it wasn't looking good for us.  But we've been resilient all year.  We've been down in situations, we've come back and won games.  We never give up.  Just being able to be in that situation where the ball bounced in our direction.  You know, we've been a part of many plays where the ball has a funky bounce to it.  And I've known my whole career sometimes you just get lucky.  When you win championships, it involves a little luck.  That right there was luck shining on our side.

Q.  Two questions:  When you caught that pass from Chris, LeBron was at the top of the key screaming.  Did you ever consider kicking it out?

A:  No.

Q.  I had to ask.  Even for someone whose work ethic is as historic as yours is, to backtrack, get your hands set, get your feet set, take that pass and then have the momentum going forward to shoot, how tough is that even for you to do all that in the span of maybe about half a second?

A:  It's tough, but believe it or not, I work on it quite often.  I try to put my body in precarious situations coming from different parts of the floor, different angles to try to get my momentum going moving forward.
I honestly can say I gave myself a great opportunity, a great chance to make that shot.  And it wasn't unfamiliar to me positionally.  When it went in, I was ecstatic.  But at the same time I was expecting to make it.

Q.  Ray, we've talked a lot over the years about your process in that kind of a situation.  You don't aim on that kind of shot.  Can you take us through your sort of mental checklist as that play is unfolding on a broken play like that.

A:  Whether CB [Chris Bosh] threw me the ball or not, I had to get myself in a position where I was ready.  Once the ball came off the rim, I just knew get to the three‑point line.  We need a three.  Two points isn't going to cut it.  So my mental checklist is really to have my legs ready and underneath me, so when the ball comes, if it comes, I was ready to go in the air.

So that's pretty much‑‑ once I get my legs there, I let the ball go.  I'm going to give myself the best chance to make it.

Q.  Ray, you mentioned this is a shot you will remember for a long time.  Would you be all right if this was the defining shot of your career?

A:  I don't think that's up to me to decide.  Anybody who will talk about me when I'm away from this game is going to talk about my impact on the game.  They'll talk about plays that I've made, shots I've made, games I've won.  That will be up to the particular individual.

But I think it depends who you talk to.

No comments:

Post a Comment